Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stand and Deliver


Stand and Deliver: The Dale Carnegie Method to Public SpeakingStand and Deliver: The Dale Carnegie Method to Public Speaking by The Dale Carnegie Organization
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One of my irrational fears is public speaking.  I'm not sure exactly what sort of calamity will occur if I say the wrong word or (horrors) can't find the word at all, but this fear manifests itself in a squeaky voice, a shortness of breath (no doubt from not breathing at all for the first few minutes) and shaky hands.

When I saw this book on Audible.com, I bought it immediately.  I have two public speaking events scheduled for this coming summer, and since I have four books published and a fifth one in the works, I anticipate several more events in the next few years.  This book contains many valuable tips and suggestions for public speaking, and some concrete ways to handle stage fright, which the author calls fear of the unknown.  I will definitely use the Rule of Three for organizing my speech, and I'll also use the tips regarding speaking notes.

I haven't spoken in front of a group since reading this book, but I plan to re-read it before the next presentation, with a pen in hand, and I'm envisioning a confident, successful presentation! I highly recommend this book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment