Saturday, September 7, 2013

Four Spirits

Four SpiritsFour Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It seems Sena Jeter Naslund can't write a bad book, so no matter the subject, it's a must-read.  This particular tome takes place in Birmingham, Alabama in the 1960s and the story follows different characters, whose lives intersect at some point whether they know it or not, during and after the bombing.  Naslund's characterization is so realistic, one can almost (but not quite) feel a tiny bit of understanding for the truly evil people in the book.

I started reading this book without reading the back of it, and it worked out perfectly for me, as I wasn't really in the mood for another book about the horrific happenings in the South, but I was soon a victim of Naslund's prose.  A perfectly content victim.

Read it and weep, and at the end, feel hopeful for this crazy race to which we belong.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment